Daily devotions

Monday

Latvia has received a new lieutenant

After a full day of ordination and celebration in the huge "Cental Hall" in central London, it was time for the farewell meeting for the new lieutenants at the Training School in Denmark Hill. Here you can see the new Latvian lieutenant, Sarah Ilsters, surrounded by two old lieutenants:

During the farewell meeting a band played and when I saw the signs "Chalk Farm Band" I started to remember...

In the 1930th my father was a bandsman in TranĂ¥s Band. He planned to go to training to become a Salvation Army Officer, but several people advice him not to go with the motivation that the Salvation Army was a dying organisation internationally. So my father decided to go to England and study the dying organisation and that summer he played with Chalk Farm Band. After that summer he was convinced and returned to Sweden and applied for the School for Officers Trining. This was a story I heard several time at home. A story accompanied with photos of my father playing in the band. With that background it was interesting for me to see that the Chalk Farm Band was still alive, eighty years later, and also knowing that the Salvation Army internationally never had been bigger than today.

/peba

No comments:

Post a Comment