Daily devotions

Friday

Brengle in Hamar and in Trondheim - part 4

From Brengles´ letters to his wife Lily during his campaign in Norway 1907, recorded in the book "Dearest Lily".

Hamar, February 27 1907
"....All Norway is ripe for a mighty revival...."

Hamar, March 9 1907
"...Several thieves and bad folks have been confessing their sins. Oh for a world wide revival of rightousness!"

Brengle also speaks about disturbances during the meetings. In the same letter he writes:

"A miserable rat nearly upset my closing meeting last night. The hall was jamned and people were standing in masses wherever they could find the space, when this rat rushed in. The women jumped up and the people in the gallery stood up and peered over to see what the commation meant and I had to stop talking and have a chorus sung. I think it hurt the meeting, but we managed to get a penitent form full of people before we closed..."

As a man always in need of good translators when preaching I can understand Brengle´s  frustration when the translator was not doing a good job:

Trondheim, March 25 1907
".. There is only slow, heavy, innaccurate translation. Staff-Captain Weie, who has been in India for eight years, and has been back to Norway only two years, is translating for me here. She has used her English Bible so long that she has forgotten her Norse Bible, an cannot quote Scripture accurately, and as I am constantly quoting Scripture, this is infortunate; then she is slow to find the right word. I have asked for a new translator, but I am not sure I shall get him."

No comments:

Post a Comment