Daily devotions

Wednesday

When You Come to the End of Yourself!

David Wilkerson  December 1998

As we read the words of David in Psalm 38, we find this godly, righteous man at the end of himself. He was downcast and discouraged, and his struggle had drained him of all strength. Listen to his distraught cry:

"I am troubled; I am bowed down greatly; I go mourning all the day long... I am feeble and sore broken: I have roared by reason of the disquietness of my heart. My heart panteth, my strength faileth me: as for the light of mine eyes, it also is gone from me... I, as a deaf man, heard not; and I was as a dumb man that openeth not his mouth. Thus I was as a man that heareth not, and in whose mouth are no reproofs" (Psalm 38:6, 8, 10, 13-14).

As I read this psalm, I imagine David slumped in despair. Perhaps what troubled him most was that he couldn't understand why he was suddenly cast down so low. This man hungered for the Lord, pouring out his heart daily in prayer. He revered God's word, writing psalms that extolled his glory. But now, in his depressed state, all he could do was cry, "Lord, I'm at the end of my rope. And I have no idea why it's happening!"

Read more HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment