Daily devotions

Tuesday

The Awful Consequences of Backsliding!

David Wilkerson (September 1996)

"The term backsliding means, simply, "turning one's back on God." Ironically, God's people backslid mostly after times of great blessing and prosperity. Often, when God poured out incredible mercies on Israel, the people soon turned away from him.

"How shall I pardon thee for this? Thy children have forsaken me, and sworn by them that are no gods; when I had fed them to the full, they then committed adultery...The house of Israel and the house of Judah have dealt very treacherously against me, saith the Lord" (verses 7, 11). The Lord is saying here, "I blessed them, I favored them. And now they've turned their backs on me!"

In this passage, Jeremiah describes exactly who a backslider is. First, a backslider is someone who once enjoyed the blessings and favor of God. He walked before the Lord with a devoted, humble, kind heart. He loved praying and digging into God's word. He vowed, "I will serve the Lord always, with all my heart." And for a while he did seek the Lord faithfully. He forsook his wicked ways and delighted in the fellowship he found with other saints in God's house."

Read More HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment