Daily devotions

Thursday

Simple musings

I just found this blogspost, published on FSAOF.blogspot.com by Sven Ljungholm



Four years ago two well respected and valued friends of many years, Lts. Peter and Ruth Baronowsky,  accepted the appointment as Regional Commanders of the Salvation Army's work in Latvia, one the 'Baltic' states. It was their enthusiastic description of the challenges facing them that caused my wife Glad and me to get caught up in the ministry opportunities there and that resulted in our ninth mission visit there just a few weeks ago, all in the space of 4 years.

Both Peter and Ruth are well known expositors of the Word and travel regularly to conduct Bible study seminars, leadership training, and much more in the Scandinavian countries and beyond. On my first visit to Latvia Ruth shared with me a copy of her newly published book in Swedish of daily devotionals. Knowing that I had recently cut back on my teaching commitments Ruth asked if I'd consider translating the book into English in order that it be uploaded daily for Peter's very well constructed and far reaching blog; www.rupeba.se. And so began a 365 day journey into Ruth's mind and spirit, and a daily late evening e-mail to Riga, Latvia.

Just a few weeks ago Peter informed that the book was to be published for distribution in English, and I asked if I might have the opportunity to read through my original translation, and without being 'chained' to the original Swedish text; loosen the structure a bit, moving from a very rigid and formal style to a more fluid and congenial pattern. I'm completing the revisions to month ten - October- today, with the remaining months on my desk to be sent to Riga by next week.

The book, Simple Musings will be available for purchase just in time for Christmas! It's the ideal present- your friends will remember you each day as they pick the book up to replenish and give themselves spiritual food and manna for the day. It's also ideal for those who have not yet established a daily pattern of family devotions. And not least, the moneys raised through the sale of the book will support the work and ministry of two Godly servants working in a vineyard far from home and family.

Here's today's meditation...


September 14
"The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want." (Psalm 23:1 NIV)
Philip Keller tells in his meditation on the 23rd Psalm about a ewe that was an especially beautiful sheep, with a strong physical presence, a superb coat, a lovely face and pretty eyes. She delivered solid lambs that grew quickly. But in spite of all this she had one serious problem. She was restless and unhappy. She often tried to crawl under the fence to freedom. Regardless of how good the food was that the shepherd prepared for her, she wanted to get to the other side. The serious problem was that this ewe taught her lambs to do the same thing and she was a poor example for the other sheep. Finally Keller had to, as a shepherd for the flock, put down the beautiful ewe, even though it was a difficult decision to make, because Keller loved his ewe just as much as the other sheep.
God wants us as Christians to be satisfied with the enormous care the Lord, our Shepherd bestows. He wants us to understand, just as David did, that when the Lord is our Shepherd there’s nothing we shall want. His reward is when the sheep are satisfied and secure in His care.
Prayer
Jesus, You are my Good Shepherd, I want to be content today and grateful to You for all You do for me and for what You have prepared for me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment