Daily devotions

Sunday

Early Sunday morning in Riga, July 29

Finally! Summer has arrived in Riga. This week was the first whole week with sun and summer temperatures this year. The week came late, but it was really longed for.
The beaches around Riga were filled by people thirsting for sun.

During the week we had also a visit from one of our sons and his family. They had really picked the right week for a trip to Latvia. When we left them at the airport Saturday afternoon we went for the Lilaste Beach for some hours in the sun with a good book.


Lilaste Beach Saturday afternoon

This week was also the start of the Olympic Games in London. Athletes from all over the world gathered to compete  A few of them will return as winners, but most of them will not return home as winners.

For all of us who cannot compete in the Olympic Games, we have another battle to fight. A fight that we all can win:
"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last for ever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." (1 Kor 9:24-27 NIV)

And we have also a battle to fight together. I am reminded of that fight every morning when I look out through my bedroom window in Riga. I am reminded about our battle and the reason why I live: "Latvia for Christ".

We have not won that battle yet, buy we are winning more and more.


Now it is Sunday morning and soon time to go down to the Sunday morning meeting at our home corps, Riga 1. It feels as it it was a long time ago we took part in a meeting at the corps, but we have lately been travelling around to the different corps for welcome and farewell meetings.


Have a blessed week Peter Baronowsky

No comments:

Post a Comment