Daily devotions

Monday

From Brengle´s life

I have just re-read a biography about Samuel Logan Brengle, written by Alice R. Stiles.

Brengle is writing about his first impressions of The Salvation Army:
“Two or three things interested me when I first met the Army. One was their sacrificial spirit; another was their power. I shall never forget going down to the Number 1 Corps hall in Boston and seeing the officer-in-charge. The Major came in, blowing his trumpet, marching erect and with vigour. He preached sermons with fire and bite in them. These Salvationists were so different from the theological students who were so soft and easy, so powerless as compared with men like Gay.”
When Brengle saw this he thought: “This is my people.”

How did Brengle prepare his sermons?
“Asked by a busy officer how he would prepare if he had but ten minutes, he replied that he would spend the time in prayer. Brengle´s whole life had been a preparation for preaching. He explained how he prepared his sermons by preparing his own heart. For this he found prayer and Bible study the important factors. He felt that many folk made the mistake of spending more time preparing their addresses than in preparation of their own hearts, affections, emotions and faith. The result, he said, were beautiful words without warmth”

And preparing for retirement he writes:
“I will pray more for my comrades who are on the field and in the thick of the fight…meditate more…and read and ponder my Bible more, and try to interpret the life that surges all around me…then there are letters I can write to struggling officers on the fields…letters to missionary officers…letters to those who are  bereaved, to those…in pain and weariness and…loneliness.
I shall find plenty to do. If I can´t command a corps or a division, or take part in councils, or lead on great soul-saving campaigns I can talk to my grocer, and doctor, and letter-carrier, about Jesus crucified and glorified, and about the life that is everlasting. I can wear my uniform and go to my corps, and testify. I can still take an interest in the children and young people. In doing this, I shall hope to keep my own spirit young and sympathetic.”

Several years later he wrote:
The snows of seventy winters are on my head, but the sunshine of seventy summers is in my heart. The fading and falling leaves of seventy summers sadden my soul, but the resurrection life upspringing in flower and tree, the returning song birds, the laughing brooks, the swelling rivers, and the soft sweet winds of seventy springtimes, gladden my spirit.”

These are many good words for those of you approaching retirement age, and for those of us still young.

/PB

No comments:

Post a Comment